It sounds complicated but it is not.
This test looks at the components of total cholesterol to determine how many risk factors there are. Cardiovascular health has more to do with the components of cholesterol than total cholesterol levels. Different kinds of particles are more problematic than others and best addressed in different ways.
This is an excellent test for:
- Those who have high cholesterol and a family history of heart disease
- Those who have normal cholesterol and a family history of heart disease
- Those with high cholesterol that will not respond to diet and lifestyle changes
- High cholesterol that does not respond to drugs
- Those who want more information about risk factors and added assurance that they are healthy