Do you need a sweet chewy holiday treat that fits in with your healthy lifestyle? If so, then try this naturally sweet and ultra nutritious option. It can be part of dinner, a not so sinful snack, or desert. It is satisfying and a good outlet for the fun of baking with out any fuss or mess.
- 2 -3 Garnet or Jewel sweet potato/yam
- 1-2 cups fresh, firm cranberries (dried can be used instead and ½ cup should be enough)
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- Olive oil (or ghee or coconut oil)
- Peel and slice yams into ½ – ¾ inch thick rounds (Thinner rounds make for chewier cookies)
- Grease cookie sheet somewhat generously and spread the rounds out to form a single layer. Lightly grease the top of the rounds with some additional oil with your fingers or a brush
- Bake for 45 min in a 350 degree oven
- While they are baking toast the walnut pieces in a dry pan on the stove top over a medium high heat. Stir constantly. It will take a few minutes and they can go from raw to burnt in just a mater of minutes so don’t walk away.
- Flip rounds and press fresh cranberries into the top of each one and bake until the cranberries burst. About 15 min. (If using dried just bake for another 15-20 min.)
- Once they come out of the oven press the walnut pieces into the tops of each cookie
Let cool in a single layer and then store open in the refrigerator.