French lentils with Feta
This is such a yummy dish I get raves every time I make it. I feel a little guilty though, because it is SO easy to make. It does not take long either. French lentils cook quickly, requiring only about 20 minutes to cook! This dish keeps well, so make enough to have some leftovers. The flavors develop once all of the ingredients are in, so don’t be too quick to add more salt. Also, all you would have to do to make this recipe vegan is omit the feta; just add a bit more of the other stuff. It still comes out a real winner!
• 5 cups cooked **French lentils, cooled
• 1 15oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and cut into smaller pieces, liquid reserved
• 1/2 C sun dried tomatoes, cut into thin strips
• 1/2 medium red onion, diced
• 1 bunch parsley, chopped (about 1 cup)
• 8oz crumbled feta cheese
• Freshly ground pepper
• Salt only if necessary – the feta and artichokes usually have enough salt for the whole dish
1. Begin with a bowl full of cooled lentils. These can be made a day or two ahead.
2. Add artichoke, tomatoes, parsley, onion, and mix well.
3. Add crumbled feta and pepper and mix some more.
4. Taste for seasoning. Add salt if desired, or add some of the reserved artichoke marinade.
**How to cook the lentils
Rinse lentils thoroughly. Place in a pot with water to cover more than twice the depth of the lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are just tender, 12 to 20 minutes. Drain and let cool uncovered.